Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My First Sourdough Loaf

I tried out my recipe for sourdough using Carl's starter and it came out pretty good. The taste was excellent and the crumb was very soft and slightly open. The only complaint I have is that this is not a good "loaf" bread. The crust is too soft to stay shaped like a loaf. However it would be most excellent in dinner roll format. Brush those little suckers with butter and its on.

I put together the ingredients the old fashioned way (using volume measurements such as cup, teaspoon, etc). I normally weigh ingredients and go by baking formulas, but I was just testing stuff out today. Next time I make this recipe (which will be made into dinner rolls) then I will weight the ingredients (in grams, because metric rocks) and write a formula for it.

The dough was allowed to rise twice. All and all it took 16 1/2 hours to complete this bread from proofing the starter to baking the loaves. It was well worth it. Like I said before the only complaint I have is that crust of the bread. Even though I used the "steam" method, it just does not see like it should be in "loaf" form. I will use this as a base recipe and tweak it till its perfect.

So what did I do with the loaves? How about Sourdough French Toast for Breakfast, it was boss.






No comments: