Tuesday, March 11, 2008

What Next?

I go through this a lot with baking. I try to think of something new to do. Sure there are many recipes and such, but it is hard to just pick one to do next. I sit at work sometimes and read books (when I have free time) about techniques on how to make a great "Artisan Loaf" or how to make the softest Challah. I usually make the same things over for two main reasons. One being that I want to perfect the recipe/formula and Two because people just want to eat them. I don't mind getting more practice at my previous endeavorers but I do want to try something different. I would like to give tortillas a shot again. I have tried in the past, but they did not come out right. Maybe its because I did not have a tortilla press to get them nice and flat. Granted this press is only $20, however they are hard to find. Unless you hit up a Mexican Grocery Store then you have to get it on the net. I don't mind buying stuff offline, but I would like to touch the thing first. Maybe I will have to just take a leap of faith on this one. I can get it from BB&B (Bed Bath & Beyond) for $20 plus shipping. They can ship it to the store. I can mess with it there and just return it if I don't like it. What I did read about this flatbread was that they store very well. You can keep them in plastic bags for months. We buy a lot of them, and if I can just make my own then it would be great. The next thing to use for tortilla making is called a "Comal", which is just a flat cast iron skillet. So I just need to get a small cast iron skillet. All and all, it will probably cost $40 for all the supplies (flour included). I am going to try this soon, I just need to wait for a nice payday to get all my new toys. I never used to buy anything, but since I have started baking I try and get new stuff all the time. Stay tuned to see how these tortillas come out!

No comments: